RE: Mystery Year TR3 on eBay?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mystery Year TR3 on eBay?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 18:01:02 -0800
> Just what year might it be? Really a 1957? Or a post-TS60000 with
> an earlier
> Comm, plate affixed?

I don't believe you can realistically assign it *any* single year.  Most of
the body is clearly post-60k, but the trunk lid looks to be from an earlier
car (note the holes for the budget locks and the lack of screw holes for the
center lever).   Hard to be certain, but I don't see the hinge plinths on
the hood either, indicating it may be from an earlier car.

This is not at all uncommon for older projects.  Back in the days before the
Internet, most people would tell you "they're all the same", plus of course
it was much harder to find the "right" part and so people tended to use
whatever they could find and would work.  I've been told that dealers even
supplied the wide-mouth front aprons as repair parts to the small-mouth cars
!  Which may explain why my 57 project TR3 has one.

I once saw a beautifully restored TR3A for sale for $25K (!) that had a
mis-matched trunk lid.

Note that the TR4/A intake manifold means that the stock front air filter
will not fit.  That may explain the missing throttle linkage too, although
there is something hanging there so maybe that problem was solved already.

The padded dash is a little funky too, but I guess it takes all kinds.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org