RE: head is off!

To: <Dave1massey@cs.com>, <themoody5@msn.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: head is off!
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:29:21 -0500
What you are seeing is a ridge caused by the piston rings wearing the
cylinders up to that point.  If you are lucky the ridge will only be thick
enough to catch a fingernail.  If it is very deep you stand a chance to
break the rings when you take the pistons out.  The more worn the cylinders
are, the larger the ridge.  The ridge is formed because the rings don't go
all the way to the top of the cylinder.  They do make ridge reamers for
those very worn engines as the ridge has to be cut away before you're able
to remove the pistons.  The other option is to remove the piston from the
bottom then have the cylinder rebored as it will need it anyway.
Pete