Re: question re rebuilding

To: themoody5@msn.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: question re rebuilding
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:13:49 EST
In a message dated 11/12/2005 10:57:01 AM Central Standard Time,
themoody5@msn.com writes:
> After I take the block to the machine
> shop, what do you guys recommend to both preserve the block and keep it
> clean while I am rebuilding?  I am planning on doing the lower end first and
>
> then maybe the head.  I just had my head done on my '73 driver (hardened
> seats, valves and rebuilt rocker assembly and I may just put that on the
> rebuilt engine. Is the 73 head swapable with a 71 head?  THanks again for
> any tips.

Coat everything with light oil.  Clean the oil off before mating anything
that needs to seal (such as the top of the block) just before assembly.

The 73 and 71 heads are interchangeable but you must keep the later intake
manifold with the head.  The intake ports are moved.  ther than that it is
mix-n-match.  But note that the later engine has a better cam but the earlier
head
has higher compression.  But either head will run just fine on either block.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org