RE: question re rebuilding

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: question re rebuilding
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:14:50 -0800
> After I take the block to the machine
> shop, what do you guys recommend to both preserve the block and keep it
> clean while I am rebuilding?

IMO it's impossible to do both.  Coat it with your choice of preservative oil
when you get it back, then plan to clean it again when you're ready to assemble.
Oil it again after cleaning, as a perfectly clean iron surface will start to
rust literally within minutes of being cleaned, even with low humidity.

So far, the best preservative oil I've found is a product called PDRP, but I
don't know where to tell you to buy it.  I bought a few cans at a local surplus
house, but when I went back for more, they didn't have any.  This might be the
same stuff :
http://www.krylonindustrial.com/index.html/screen/s00710_pdrp___waxy_film
Stinks to high heaven, but works good.

Motorcycle chain lube works pretty good too, it goes on thin but then dries to a
sticky film.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org