FW: TR2 is back home from sleeping since 1979 - How best to

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: FW: TR2 is back home from sleeping since 1979 - How best to
From: Christian.Simonsen@flextronics.com
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:23:11 -0800
Hi All

Bought a car lift! It works great. Brought the TR2 home and it is now living
in the lift over the TR4.

The tires were rotten and the TR4 tires were 4 or 5 years old, so the TR2
got some handme downs. Very funny to see rotten tires with the paper sticker
still on the treads.....

Squirells ate the wiring harness off the firewall of the TR2 in 89 and mice
have been living in the glovebox. By the smell of it, the mice could
probably get ownership in a court of law due to squatters rights. I will
need a new glove box.

Squirells did a very good job of almost completely cutting all the wiring.

It was running when I quit running it back in 1979.  Have done nothing to it
other than squirt some oil in the cylinders every few years and turn it over
by hand. Engine is still free. The car by any stanards is pretty ugly. Most
of the chrome has been living under my bed and then in storage since 79.

Hydraulics are shot.  Matter of fact, hydraulics are in a u-store it in
Virginia needing resleeving - which is why I quit driving it.

I'd like to hear the engine again - when I was sixteen I lost the muffler
and replaced it with a glass pack I found on the side of the road....  I
miss that sound.

Trying to figure out if I should get everything working and running again
before I tear it down for a rebuild. Are there many merits to running before
rebuilding?

Not sure if I should do a rolling rebuild or a complete teardown - don't
think there's much differnce in dollars - mostly labor - but not totally
sure.

Can anyone reply off list and suggest the minimum things I should do before
hot wiring it and firing it up?  Like should I pull the oil pan and
throughly clean everything before firing it up or just change the oil, prime
the oil pump and let er rip!

Thanks

Chris

63 TR4 and 54 TR2 (sleeping warmly and somehow still manages to leak after
26 years of rest)

===     http://www.vtr.org