Re: cylinder head removal question

To: themoody5@msn.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cylinder head removal question
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:18:46 EST
In a message dated 11/10/2005 7:55:05 PM Central Standard Time,
themoody5@msn.com writes:
> I have a 71 TR 6 engine which I am starting to tear down in hope of
> rebuilding it over the next year or so.  My questions concern removing the
> head.  I have the rocker shaft off and have removed the pusher rods (?) and
> have removed all the head bolts in reverse sequence to what to how you are
> supposed to torque them down.  One stud came out in taking off the nuts.
> Here are my questions:
> 1. Does the water pump have to come off before I removed the head?

No but I recommend it.  Most likely the cooling system is still pretty full
of coolant.  There is a drain tap on the right side of the block above the
starter (so that it drains on the starter.  Clever, huh?) but usually this
passage
is clogged with crud after 30 odd years.  The problem with this is when you
break the head loose the coolant will run into the cylinders and you will have
to clean and dry them out straight away to avoid cylinder wall corrosion.
Pulling the water pump will help get more coolant out.

It also makes manipulating the head easier without the pump housing hanging
down.

> 2. Do the studs have to come off/out before I can take the head off.  I
> think this engine has been sitting for some time.  I've had it for five
> years at least!  It still turns though...
> If I have to remove the studs I was thinking of using two buts backed
> against each other to create something I could turn the stud with any other
> tricks?

No, the studs can stay put.  There are engines with canted studs that must be
removed but this is not one.  There may be a little corrosion between the
studs and head and if this becomes an impediment unscrewing the stud may be
advisable but otherwise leave them in place.

But sometimes the head is stuck to the block.  In this case the "rope trick"
will come in handy.  First find top dead center on cylinder 1 and 6 then back
off 1/8 turn on the crankshaft.  Then get some small cotton rope (1/8 inch
diameter so) and feed some through the spark plug hole.  Rotate the crankshaft
(you can use the starter for this or put a wrench on the front pulley or roll
the car in gear) so that the piston pushes on the rope that pushes up on the
head to separate it from the block.

One other tip.  The head is HEAVY.  Be prepared to manipulate a heavy object
from an awkward distance.  A second set of hands helps a lot.

Cheers

Dave Massey
71 TR6

===     http://www.vtr.org