Re: Troubled TR 8/7 - Triumphs daily digest V1 #2435

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Troubled TR 8/7 - Triumphs daily digest V1 #2435
From: "wayne s" <wayne_s@lycos.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:02:32 -0500
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 13:55:27 EST
> From: TR250Driver@aol.com
> Subject: Troubled TR8/TR7 VE
>
> Guys,
> The TR8 is in position in the work garage and it is finally time to address
> issues which prevent me from driving and enjoying it.  First would
> be a cooling
> system flush, tear down or whatever it takes since the auto chokes seem to be
> sticking occasionally.
> However, the real mystery to me is the second issue which is occasionally I
> will turn the key to fire it up and nothing happens.  I hear the relay click
> and I think I am getting power to the starter. This is also dejavue since the
> same thing has happened previously to the Eight a few years back.  Back then I
> replaced the starter and the relay, which was not clicking, and I
> thought I had
> the problem solved. But NOOOOO!  I hate fighting the same problems!  You guys
> have been great in fault diagnosis.  Am I missing something? I have a spare
> ignition switch but I am doubtful that the problem lies there.  Just a bad
> starter?  This is the car that likes to use up alternators too.  I
> am on my third
> one there in 8 years or so maybe 12,000 miles.  Should I just change sources
> for my rebuilt electrical parts? The alternator maybe from jump
> starting, I did
> not know until recently that that is real bad thing to do with a TR8 for some
> reason.
> Next will be the VE TR7 which occasionally will turn over but not start, no
> fire to the plugs!  Let it sit for 5 minutes then it will fire?  I have one of
> those factory Lucas constant energy replacement distributors on the bench for
> that one.  Think I am on the right track there? Woe is Me!
> Thanks in Advance for any insight.
> Darrell
Hmmm, starter and alternator on the Eight?  I bought an Eight about ten years
ago, in great shape except for the alternator.  So I figured $50 at Schucks and
I was good to go-but no!  The closest alternaotr I found was some old Jag
alternator that the guy said we "could probably rotate and make it work" for
only $350.  I figured for that price I might just try the voltage regulator (or
whatever itwas called - the diodes!) at $20 and hope that was the problem.  It
seemed to be, but the colors of wires were all different so I took it to a shop
to install.  Worked for about two weeks and the battery died again.  So i took
it to another electrical shop, this time one recommended by a guy I worked with
and told tehm to fix it, rebuilding the alternator if necessary.  I figured
that was probably as expensive as a new one and would still be original.  (I
know you're thinking "what does this have to do with my problem...)
     Well that was a great shop!  The guy who had installed the voltage
regulator thing in the alternator had poorly connected it and the connections
broke.  But they said the worse problem was the the ground connections from the
battery were VERY corroded and a lot of other electrical connections were
corroded, dirty or loose.  They fixed all these and the alternator (for only
like $75!!  Great shop) and I have never had another electrical problem.  In
addition that "running hot" problem was fixed and the gas guage problem, and
the radio problem...  See the picture?  If any of these ground  connections are
problems, it can screw up everything.  The first thing I would check are ALL
the main connections from battery to starter to alternator.  Once these are
"golden" then look for other problems, you may find you have none after that.

-Wayne S

===     http://www.vtr.org