Re: Replacing Rear Springs - Anything Else At The Same Time?

To: marty.tr6@gmail.com, rgperry@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Replacing Rear Springs - Anything Else At The Same Time?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 09:55:47 EST
In a message dated 11/5/2005 1:51:24 PM Central Standard Time,
marty.tr6@gmail.com writes:
> I guess I should have asked before I bought the springs! I will
> definitely get the bushings and spring pads replaced at the same time.
> I do want the camber fixed.

Having just been through this I want to forewarn you that the back end my
come up more than you may think.  When the springs are advertised to restore
original height do they mean for an early car or for the later car?  The later
cars were fitted with longer springs to bring the bumper heights into
compliance
with US standards.  I fitted new springs front and rear on my 71 TR6 and it
now sits as high as a 76.  I rather like it, actually as it drags less.  But
you
may find that after replacing the rears you'll want to also replace the
fronts.  If that is the case I would hold off on a wheel alignment until you
are
happy with the results, be it with your current front springs or not.

But by all means get a complete alignment when you are done.  It makes a
world of difference in the handling.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6