Re: Condensor capacitance value?

To: CFisher@borgwarner.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Condensor capacitance value?
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:43:35 EST
In a message dated 11/1/2005 12:45:39 PM Central Standard Time,
CFisher@borgwarner.com writes:
> I'm troubleshooting a lack of spark on my TR3A and wondered if anyone knew
> the approx. capacitance of the condensor?
>
> Any likelyhood of getting a reasonable capacitance reading from a condensor
> that would still not function well on the car?

10uF, or so I'm told by a coworker who used to work in the auto repair
industry.  And, yes, it is conceivable that a capacitor...er, excuse me,
condensor,
could give a valid reading on a capacitance meter and still not function
properly in an ignition system.  A capacitance meter will only impress a few
volts
on the condenser whereas in the ignition system it may see 200 volts or more.
If the condenser cannot withstand more than 50 volts, say, then it will test
out fine on the meter but inhibit proper operation of the ignition system.

Most people test the condenser by replacing it.  They're cheap and easy to
swap out.

Same with the coil.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org