Re: Oil and Metal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil and Metal
From: "Just Brits" <justbrits@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 19:37:02 -0500
Terry:

At the "serious" risk of incurring Randell's and Joe C.'s wrath <VBG>:

<<I swear, it seems to me sometimes that oil actually soaks into metal.  Or
maybe it's just that there is a thin film of oil on cylinder walls that
never
seems to go away. Every head I've pulled, if I run my finger on the cylinder
wall, it "feels" lightly oiled.>>

You would be correct.

<<Are oil molecules too big to squeeze into metal pores?>>

Nope.<BG>

<<  Isn't this how cast iron frying pans are "seasoned" with oil?>>

EXACTLY!!!!

BUT, that said, one has to keep in mind TEMPERATURE!!!!!

To "do" a skillet, what do you have to do????

Bring it to HOT temp., right??  What does any metal do when HOT???

E    X    P    A    N    D    !

Think you coukld "season" a skillet left in the freezer overnite???

<G>

Ed

PS:  Yes, I WILL be replying to the Compression Test posts<VVVBG>!!!
PPS:  'Course with a grain of salt as only been doing for decades<G><F><G>!
PPPS:  NO, I will NOT say how many except that I re-built a one-year old MGA
motor.