Re: Purolator oil filter questions tr3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Purolator oil filter questions tr3
From: "JustBrits_com" <justbrits@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 19:49:33 -0500
Comment/Question out of order<G> from original post!

<<This is a bit scary, thinking about if it had happened out on the road>>

Never would have gotten that far Dave and for the reason you describe!!

<<Or otherwise what did I do wrong? >>

Not removing the "filter head" from block!!!

If you take IT off prior to removing the filter ASSEMBLY you just need a $
0.80 (or so) gasket to replace the ASSEMBLY!!!

I do it on EVERY motor that it can be done to.  PERIOD!!!

After draining assembly, invert and place in bench vise.  Follow Randall's
advice about cleaning the "groove".  Rinse ASSEMBLY parts ( be absolutely
POSITIVE ALL ARE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), replace the felt washers (even tho
the Moss Cat. I have at hand says N/A, I HAVE!! and supply).

Now the "fun" part begins<VBG>!!!!

With NEW ring IN the head groove invert "assembly" and start the bolt.
After the bolt is started and most of the way screwed in, ("fun" begins"
here!!) very, VERY carefully align canister with the "gasket" in the groove.
You can actually "see" whether or not correct!!!

Tighten the bolt SLOWLY with SHORT box-end wrench (not too much torque)<G>!!

You can actually SEE the rubber ring (gasket) deform inorder to complete
sealing canister to head.

POC<VBG>!!

If the "gasket" is NOT 90+% even all the way around canister;  Ooops!!
Wrong!!

I've used that method on ALL Big Healeys, ALL Spridgets & ALL MGTs that have
come thru my shop with 100% success.

As an aside, ALL "parts" MUST be IN the canister and in order for the
"assembly" to work PROPERLY!!!

Ed
'63 A-H BJ-7 (Hortense THE Healey)
'73 Black Tulip MGB (Murial)
'70 El Camino "Custom" (Blackie)
'70 El Camino (un-named daily driver & on my site)

Ed Kaler, Proprietor
" Just Brits "
Founding Member & Delegate, ILLINI Chapter-AHCA
Member & Tech Contact, AHCUSA
Member of far to many other LBC Clubs to List!!

Please visit my site at:  www.justbrits.com