Purolator oil filter questions tr3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Purolator oil filter questions tr3
From: David Griffiths <daveg@online.no>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2005 14:35:22 +0200
Here's a back-to-basics question about changing the filter element on
an original purolator oil filter for tr3 15005. I've done this once
before, but this time, after putting in the new element, after about
1 minute of running the engine there was a abrupt loud banging and
splattering noise, and there was a couple of litres at least of oil
on the garage floor in a matter of seconds. When looking at the
filter I could see a bit of the gasket poking out between filter head
and cannister.

This replacement filter element comes with 2 gaskets, which I
understand to be for tecalemit and purolator. Both are higher than
they are broad, and one which I guess is Tecalemit is slightly larger
in diameter. Just inside the rim of the filter head there is a seat
for the gasket, and when fitted there is only a tiny distance, maybe
a millimetre, to the edge of the lip. This gasket I chose, the
smaller one, fits the diameter of the cannister exactly. I put a bit
of grease on it to hold it in place in the filter head, and then
advanced the cannister with new element, up with the bolt until the
whole thing was fairly tight.

Question: Should I have bolted the cannister up until it was really
tight against the gasket, or should it just be basically finger-tight
like modern screw-ons? Or otherwise what did I do wrong? This is a
bit scary, thinking about if it had happened out on the road.

Many thanks,
Dave