Re: Accelerator pedal

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Geo Hahn" <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net> hAREG2Gx024767
Subject: Re: Accelerator pedal
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:15:13 -0500
Message text written by "jonmac"
>Absolutely - but it's way easier with weak/worn synchros. I enjoy modern
boxes
with unbeatable synchros as much as I relish much older versions with worn
ones - or none at all. My two Triumphs almost fall into the latter category
and I'm happy to keep them like that. There's an exciting challenge in
achieving a silent fast up or down change when you know the synchro and
selector forks are well past their best. The enjoyable bit is silently
'feeling' the gears into mesh with cold oil in the gearbox which in itself
is
a special treat on a 'crash' type box of very pre-war vintage. Suppose as
you
grow older, pleasures come from the strangest things?
<

To the contrary, with age comes the wisdom that satisfaction comes with
accomplishing that which does not come easily.  Any hamfisted clod can
shift a modern box with appearent aplomb but working a box with marginal
synchros in a manner that does not leave teeth a-gratin' takes years of
practice and attention.  And downshifting into first in a box with a
non-synchro first gear at 5 MPH and without grinding gives a very warm
feeling, indeed.

Dave Massey