RE: steering column

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: steering column
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:45:07 -0800
> When I took the center rod out of the steering column, a long
> white winding of
> white plastic about two inches wide came out with it.  It was wrapped in a
> spiral around the stator.  I don't see reference to this anywhere in parts
> manuals or catalogs.
>
> Any advice on where to source and how to replace this stuff?

Can't prove it of course, but IMO it wasn't put there by the factory.  Some
DPO or DPM probably lost the springs and stuck that plastic in as a
replacement.  I don't know of a source for the springs, which are only to
keep the stator tube from rattling against the steering shaft, so my
suggestion would be some strips of thin felt.  Try your local fabric shop,
they should have felt.

Randall