RE: Spark Plugs...Ignition Upgrade

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spark Plugs...Ignition Upgrade
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:25:32 -0800
> Finally, I'm thinking of maybe going to a Capacitive Discharge Ignition.
> There a numerous brands on the market. What kinds have we seen used on the
> 4-cylinder TRs that work well?

I have the Crane XR3000 CDI unit on my TR3A ... I don't recommend it.  In
fact, swapping it out is on my "todo" list.  My current plan is to use an
Allison-type ignition to trigger an MSD 6A.

Just for Lou : CDI is easier to say & remember <g>

A CDI ignition stores energy in a capacitor, instead of storing it in the
magnetic field in the coil.  The big advantage is supposed to be that the
resulting spark voltage has a much faster rise time, which gives it a much
greater chance of firing a fouled plug.  This should translate into easier
starts, better fuel mileage, etc.  On my TR3A tho, I had a devil of a time
even getting it to work right, and I could not tell any difference between
running it and running stock points.  I switched back & forth several times
too, so I think the comparison is accurate.  However, the MSD 6 I was
running before (triggered by points) gave noticeably easier starts and
smoother idle, so that's what I plan to go back to.  The MSD is technically
a CDI type ignition, but it also emits multiple sparks per cylinder firing
and produces a lot more spark energy per spark than the Crane does.

With the Crane, if you try to pull the high tension lead off the engine
while it's running, the engine just dies.  With the MSD the engine still
dies usually, but you're apt to be sitting on the grass wondering what
happened ...

Randall