Re: TR3 Lug Nut info

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3 Lug Nut info
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:56:33 -0500
I drove my 4 around a little while with stock disc wheels mounted on the
shortened wire wheel studs.

Mind you it was just to move the car out of the way and an occasional
leisurely drive while trying to figure out what was ailing it.

I wouldn't drive one in a sporting manner with that setup.

Randall's right. . the threads don't go all the way down on the stock disc
wheel lug nuts, which robs you of precious thread engagement.

The double beveled wire wheel nuts are too small a diameter for my comfort.
They look like they could pull through for sure.

I found aftermarket lug nuts that were threaded all the way down .. but they
weren't quite as big as the stock nuts.

Eventually  I put on some mag wheels with straight shank lug nuts . .I had
to shim the washer under the head of the lug nut to get maximum engagement
without bottoming out the nut before the wheel was clamped.  It took a fair
amount of effort, I still didn't feel comfortable driving it hard though.

But .. If you just want to put some disc wheels on . .maybe to try out the
ride of your friends tires,  or a temporary spare to limp home on, you
should be safe.

Scott Tilton