TR3 Lug Nut info

To: "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Lug Nut info
From: "Jim Bauder" <jimbpps@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:14:58 -0700
Listers,

I am in the process of going back to steel wheels from 48 spoke wire wheels
on my '58 TR3. Several years ago, I installed the KO hubs and then shortened
the wheel studs to accommodate the wire wheels as described in numerous
articles as well as the red TR Shop Manual.

My question to the list is: What is wrong with installing the steel wheels
and using the old steel wheel lug nuts or alternately, using the wire wheel
lug nuts on the shortened wheel studs? It seems to me that if the thread
coverage is adequate for use with the wire wheel adaptors it ought to be
adequate to use the steel wheels. The stress on the lugs ought to be the
same. I haven't tried the wire wheel lugs on the steel wheels yet but they
ought to work just fine! The hub caps will cover the "incorrect" lugs so
visually they will look OK, too.

Please, let me know your thoughts and opinions, both pro and con, regarding
this change.

TIA,

Jim Bauder
'58 TR3