Re: Headlight Trim Rings

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight Trim Rings
From: "Lou Metelko" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:05:16 -0500
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 4:46 PM

> > The chromed headlight trim rings with the screw hole at the bottom is
for
> > the entire TR2 and TR3 production.
>
> Lou, I don't have my books with me, but I don't think that's quite right.
> At least part of the range used a split rim, with a boss on each side and
> screw that ran between them.  They've been NLA for many years, and the
ones
> with the screw hole are listed as replacements, but the originals were
> different.
>
> Randall

Randall:

According to Moss, Piggott and TRA there were three different methods to
attach the headlight chrome rings.  The entire TR2 and TR3 series used the
single screw hole in the bottom.  The early TR3As used the split ring type
with a single screw pulling the split together.  Mid year of 1958 (ca
TS33000) the third method of "snap on" was used that would continue through
to the end of the TR3B.  Both the early and later versions are available
after market but the relatively short run of the split type is no longer
available (flea markets are your only hope).

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana