RE: Head studs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Head studs
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 06:20:53 -0800
> A quick one, should I as a matter of course buy new cylinder head
> studs for the re-build. I was reading an article in Practical
> Classics recently on metal fatigue, they mentioned even a burr from a
> stud remover can create a weak point.

John, I'll echo what Scott said : take a new, standard nut (not a head nut)
and see if it will spin smoothly down the threads (at the fine thread end).
If it goes all the way down, the stud is probably OK.  If it binds about 2/3
down, the stud should be discarded.

The studs are otherwise plenty strong for the application, so I wouldn't
worry about burrs from stud removers or anything like that.  Being
overtorqued is what usually stretches them.

Randall