Re: TR3A Chrome

To: Terry <terryrs@adelphia.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Chrome
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:32:22 -0500
Avoid any chrome shop that does not do triple plate. Triple plate is
copper, nickel, chrome. The copper is soft and can be used to fill in
the pits. They plate it up grid and plate it back up until the pit is
filled. It can be expensive.

Without the option to fill the pits with the copper, the only thing they
can do is grind, and then plate with the nickel and chrome. If the pits
are too deep, this grinding without filling will lead to flats spots,
and distortions. Imagine a chrome sphere covered with flat spots. That's
what you get. Looks like you know what.

The shop that did my TR250 parts was one of these. They only did the
grind and then plated with nickel and chrome. It's lots cheaper that
way. I think they were into cheapness because the workmanship was
horrible. They actually ground holes in my valve cover, and ground a
hole in one of my front fender side lights. I am now buying new and
replacement parts.

The parts that required minimal grinding came out OK. Anything with pits
was, in my opinion, damaged to the point of being ruined and now
requires replacement.

I am negotiating with this shop, and if they do not make it good I will
publish their name. I will take it upon myself to damage their business
with the same cavalier attitude they had in damaging my parts.

I drove 8 hours to this shop, they held the parts in question in their
hand and said they would be fine. They damaged these parts -- probably
beyond repair. The workmanship stunk.

Don Malling