Re: TR3A Chrome

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Chrome
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:25:58 -0800
| I understand the Bumper Boyz do a good job with chrome.  Does anybody have
| alternative recommendations to send chrome pieces to?

Call a local Harley Davidson dealer in your area.  Bike customizors add a
lot of chrome to their projects and won't settle for second rate quality.

| And, can anyone offer a sense of the cost for rechroming:

I've had TR4 overriders chromed by a very high quality shop, Vernes, here in
Los Angeles.  The overriders where about $50 each.  I could have had it done
cheaper at a higher volume shop, but didn't want to risk a poor job.  I also
took him my hubcaps but he told me (with some candor and honesty) that it
would be much cheaper to buy repros then to rechrome the originals.  He was
right.  I found four new ones on ebay for $50.

| I've never done rechroming.  As always, I look forward to the advice of
you all.

A couple of things I've learned from nt experience are:
1.  Repro chrome is never very good for some reason.  Usually it's made in
China stuff manufactured inexpensively so that we can afford it.  It seems
to rust fairly quickly.
2.  Badly pitted or scarred chrome will not rechrome very well.  The pits
will show.  It is very expensive (but not impossible) to fill and smooth out
the pits.
3.  Be very careful with intricate items with lots of detail or reliefs.  I
had a very expensive piece ruined because the rechromer ground down all the
ridges for some reason.  It was a free job, friend of a friend type thing.
Notice that I learned my lesson and used the expensive guy for the TR4.

Paul W.
Torrance, CA
1964 TR4
1956 TR3