Re: Droopy milk bottle turn signal lenses

To: sasjzl@netzero.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Droopy milk bottle turn signal lenses
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:54:53 EST
In a message dated 11/12/2003 8:05:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sasjzl@netzero.com writes:

> The dang milk bottle lenses with the chrome rings.  I could not for
> the life of me get them to sit back on the rubber retainer deal.  I think I
> wiped out four, yes four, 1157 bulbs trying to get those to seat correctly.
> And by correctly I mean just enough so they wouldn't fall out and flatten
my
> tires as soon as I left the driveway....Is there some TR trick here that I
> am not privy to?  I hate to
> just order new rubber retainer things because I think that the ones that I
> have are in pretty good shape.

Well, the current TRF catalogue shows:

LU576105    T25S12G12 BODY, Lamp, Rubber    3.95        CUR

So, if the rubber is at all suspect, this is a pretty cheap fix.

Yes, the glass is heavy, and it does pretty much rely on the chrome ring
seating all the way 'round to hold it all together. That said, I've not had a
problem even with some very old, dried up lamp bodies. I've always used
nothing
more than a very small, flat-bladed screwdriver to gently guide the rubber
over
the ring. If there's any significant tears or breaks in the rubber in that
area, it probably won't hold very well, though.

So worst case scenario is to buy new rubber bodies and then put those "coke
bottle" lenses back on!

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.