Droopy milk bottle turn signal lenses

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Droopy milk bottle turn signal lenses
From: "Jim Lee" <sasjzl@netzero.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:00:23 -0500
Fellow Triumphants,

Thanks to all for the support and advice my TR3A black beauty is running
better than ever.  A new, to me at least, regulator/control box off Ebay and
connecting up an errant front turn signal light and it's running like its 44
years young instead of old.  As usual a few more questions though.  While
fooling around with the front turn signals I was replacing the bulbs when I
stumbled across one of the most frustrating experiences I've had in recent
memory.  The dang milk bottle lenses with the chrome rings.  I could not for
the life of me get them to sit back on the rubber retainer deal.  I think I
wiped out four, yes four, 1157 bulbs trying to get those to seat correctly.
And by correctly I mean just enough so they wouldn't fall out and flatten my
tires as soon as I left the driveway.  Those things are like coke bottles.  I
finally could stand no more and left the bare bulbs on there before I ran out
of bulbs.  I have even gone to the trouble of going to the local auto store
and picked up a cheap round piece of clear plastic lense that fits perfectly
in the chrome ring that probably wieghs a tenth of the original lense to see
if I can get that to stay in there even if I have to use glue.  My sanity is
at risk here.  Is there some TR trick here that I am not privy to?  I hate to
just order new rubber retainer things because I think that the ones that I
have are in pretty good shape.  I'm talking I didn't get close to either one
of them supporting the weight of that milk bottle lense.  That chrome ring
refused to ever go all the way inside no matter what I did.

Another thing I wanted to ask about is if any of the TR2/3 folks out there had
tried the spring loaded steering plate pin upgrade that I understand is
available from a fellow for the reasonable sounding sum of $65 plus shipping.
I don't have any particular gripes about my steering but I am about to remove
the apron and figured that as long as I was in there I might as well get as
much done as I could.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
59 TR3A