Re: Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #1743

To: triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest V1 #1743
From: "Wayne" <wayne_s@lycos.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:13:04 -0800
Wow this is still goin on?  Try subscribing to the TR7/8 list for more info
about the TR7 conversions.
Ooops, that list is down for about a week now, anyone know what's up?  Odd?

Anyway this subject has been the deabate for many years.  Saab engine same
basic design, but completely changed, tunred around, etc making it a bad
transplant.  Other engines like the Cadillac 500ci engine, GM 454 etc are too
much weight.  Appearently loading up massive weight over the front wheels leads
to some interesting handling problems...

Someone on the list did use a kit to turbocharge his TR7 back in the early
80's.  Said it was fantastic, great power etc. only problem being the need to
replace the head gasket every 500miles or so.

Best solution seemed to be convert to a Rover/Buick V8.  Next best option is
John's cars conversion.  But really-the car was designed for the Rover v8, why
not let the car realize it's own personal potential and give it the v8 it wants?

-Wayne

>Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 12:14:31 EST
>From: Percybal@aol.com
>Subject: Re: saab turbo'd engine in tr7 ?
>
>Quite frankly, I am a bit dismayed by all this talk about
>turbos and supercharges. I honestly cannot see a
>need for either one. Oh, and forget a SAAB engine
>transplant in a Wedge. It will likely give you more
>headaches trying to install than it is worth.
>
>If you want to transplant a new and more powerful engine
>in your 7, I might suggest a Rover 4.6 litre V8. At
>approximately 300 bhp it ought to be powerful enough
>to adequately propel a 2200 plus or minus pound
>vehicle at a substantial speed regardless of what
>altitude you find yourself. As an added bonus, you
>will certainly surprise most Ferrari and Porsche drivers
>you encounter. Lastly, I would like to point out you
>can probably do this without breaking the bank.
>
>If you want to a tutorial on a Rover V8, I might suggest
>you visit the following website:  www.v8engines.com
>It is run by RPI Engineering and is devoted to the
>Rover V8. Turn the sound up on your computer's
>speakers (provided you have them) when you first
>visit the site. Great fun!
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Percy Ballentine

Enter now for a chance to win a 42" Plasma Television!
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda1.com/1/c/563632/113422/313631/313631
AOL users go here:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;6413623;3807821;f?http://mocda1.com/1/c/563632/113422/313631/313631
This offer applies to U.S. Residents Only