Head Nut Rust

To: "Triumph Mail List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Head Nut Rust
From: "Scott Suhring" <suhringtr36@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:07:53 -0500
As I continue to prepare for the reuniting of my chassis and the body, I
decided to retighten the cylinder head nuts since I had not done this yet
after firing up the engine after its rebuild (this was about 6 months ago).
I was surprised to find what appears to be a rust like build up on the nuts
and around the raised casing for the 3 inner studs (#s 1, 3 & 6).  The outer
2 (8 & 9) have absolutely no sign of this and look like I had just installed
them.  The rest of the head also looks fine.  The rust/gunk flakes off with
a little coaxing.  Any idea what would have caused this? There was still a
film of oil over most of the head, but these 3 spots seemed dry.  BTW, the
engine purred like a kitten when we ran it.  As noted, I plan to re-torque
the head and then run the engine again.

TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA