Ignition coil voltage redux

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition coil voltage redux
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:59:42 -0800
Hokay, so I've been browsing through my limited collection of Lucas
catalogs, trying to answer an off-list question : what application(s) take a
"6v" coil with a screw-in high tension lead.

Didn't find any answers to that one, but I did find something interesting :
Some cars take a "12v" Lucas coil, and also use a ballast resistor !  For
example, 78-82 TR8 takes either a 22C12 or a 23C12 coil (where I'm pretty
sure the trailing '12' indicates 'voltage'), but also takes a 9BR ballast.
This is also true for 80-81 Rover 3500; 77-80 Rolls Silver Shadow, Corniche
and Phantom; 77-80 Lotus Elite and Eclat; etc.  However, other cars, like
the 76-84 Lotus Esprit; 77-82 MGB; 77-82 TR7(carbureted); etc., take the
more usual "6v" coil with a ballast.

>From this I infer that Lucas made both "6v", "12v requires ballast" and "12v
no ballast required" coils.

Anyone care to comment, or show me the errors of my ways ?

Randall