Mounting L-661 reverse lights on TR4/4A

To: Chris Bohn <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Subject: Mounting L-661 reverse lights on TR4/4A
From: "James R. Holekamp" <jholekamp@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:51:04 -0600
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greetings Chris,

Several years ago I installed a pair of Lucas L-661 reversing lamps on
my '64 TR4.  I wired the lights per the wiring diagram, using a Lucas
SPB-101 piloted (white) pull on/push off switch on the dash in the radio
mount area (I have no radio).  There was no wiring for this existing in
the wiring loom. I obtained the correct color (green/brown) wire from
British Wiring (Olympia Fields, IL), along with the necessary black pvc
tubing and ran the wiring to the lights, alongside the main harness
route to the fuel tank area, alongside the wires to the license plate
lights. I made a pair of simple mounting brackets using cereal box
cardboard to make a pattern for sawing, filing, drilling, & bending,
from a 12 ga 1-1/4 inch x 36 inch galv steel plate, obtained at the
local hardware store. The brackets attach to the car at the lower
over-rider mounting bolt. Since the L-661 lamp has a ground connection,
I ran a ground wire (black) from the lamps back to a bolted ground point
near the fuel tank - likely not really necessary - but than again the
reverse lights are of doubtful use too - but I like the way they look.
Perhaps one day I'll install a switch on the trans cover (as was done on
TR 250/5/6) so I'll not need to remember to turn the reversing lights
on/off.

brgds, Jay

'64 TR4 CT38895LO
Wheaton, IL