RE: Regulatin' Lucasville

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Regulatin' Lucasville
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:53:44 -0800
> Now for some more elementary electric questions.  When I first
> hooked up the new regulator I could see a distinct blue sparking on the
> left/regulator side fixed contact point that touch each other.

Some sparking is normal here, especially when the generator is working hard.
With little electrical load/charging, or the engine running slowly enough,
the sparking will go away.

> Also I was seeing movement in the cut off mechanism at first but not after
it warmed up.

That doesn't sound right.  The cutout relay should pull in all the way as
soon as the engine starts, and stay there until the engine is shut off,
unless your idle rpm is really low.

>  Also, is it normal to see
> a healthy (I hope) blue spark happening at what I assume are the brushes
in
> the rear most part of the generator in the dark?

Yup, they spark a fair amount, again depending on how hard the generator is
working.

> I guess I am going to see if I
> can get another
> digital voltmeter becasue I really do want to do all that I can to set the
> regulator and cut off correctly

I wouldn't mess with it, unless you're sure it's out of spec, and even then
I'd double check.

IOW, if it ain't broke, don't fit it !

Randall