Re: Removing Pinion Oil Seal

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing Pinion Oil Seal
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:48:08 EST
In a message dated 11/5/03 10:02:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
suhringtr36@comcast.net writes:

<< No, the pinion is not out and I am not changing that bearing.  Do I need to
 be concerned with hurting the crown wheel gear shaft that engages with the
 flange?  This is the leverage point I use for the puller, trying to place
 the point of contact between teeth. >>

The pinion shaft is pretty hard so damage is unlikely, is possible a few
marks cosmetic will be left on the oxide coating.

The advice I'm giving is for seals in general.  I had worked as a auto
mechanic for many years but have not done much TR work.

Just to be sure we are following the same page you have removed/ unbolted:

Drive shaft at rear end

Nut in center of pinion flange

Pinion flange

Rather than using the tip of the pinion shaft as a pry point, go along side
the shaft and pry there.  The point of the pry tool will be under the seal and
the other end on top.  This will push one side of the seal inwards but the
other side will be pried upwards.

When prying make sure the point of the seal puller does not gouge the diff
housing.

Lemme know if this works out.
Harold