Removing Pinion Oil Seal

To: "Triumph Mail List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing Pinion Oil Seal
From: "Scott Suhring" <suhringtr36@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 07:13:00 -0500
Cc: "John Krause" <jktr250@comcast.net>
Before I end up taking hours, with the use of a dremel, to remove the front
pinion/flange oil seal on the differential, I thought I'd ask the list if
there is any secret to this process.  I have taken these seals off before,
but have never had any success using the seal puller that you can buy at any
auto store (Pep Boys, Advance, NAPA, etc.),  This is the straight handle
with a kinda "T" at the end with two different sized sides to hook into the
inside lip of the seal, pull back using the edge of the metal top against
the gear end and then try and pry the sucker out.  My problem is that the
tool will slip and want to catch on the outer lip of the seal, which just
destroys the thin metal front casing of the seal.  When I get the shorter
end to hook on the inside, the leverage seems incorrect in that it would be
pulling the seal inward rather than outward, and thus nothing moves.  I end
up giving up and using the dremel to cut out sections of the seal until I
can pry it apart and then out. Works, but is not fun.  For those scratching
their head as to the progress of my 3 restoration, yes I am hopefully close
to getting the body back from its restoration, but since I had run the
engine and got everything ready to accept the body, a leak started from the
seal and I have decided to replace the seal now when it is much easier
rather than regretting I didn't do this after I got the body back on the
chassis.

Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA