RE: TR4 starter breaks, and TR3 tranny in TR4

To: "Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR4 starter breaks, and TR3 tranny in TR4
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 22:17:37 -0800
> Any creative ideas for fishing out starter parts without pulling the
> transmission? Giant shop vac?  Government surplus space/time-warping
> magnetron?  Pull the tranny?

Coat hangar !  Pull the cover off the bottom, fish around with one end of
the straightened coat hanger until you hook the spring, then feed the other
end up and out the starter hole.  Oh, you'll probably have to turn the
engine backwards (put the tranny in 4th and push the car back) to free the
spring up.

Whatever you do, don't drive it with the spring loose.  Mine went through
the side of the bellhousing, which eventually cracked all the way around.

> On the bright side, if I have to pull the tranny I can put in the
> rebuilt TR3 tranny I got recently -- and then rebuild the original
> overdrive that hasn't worked since I bought the car.  I vaguely remember
> there's a difference in the mounting bracket?  Any tips for this?  I
> know it doesn't have synchro on first, anything else to be aware of?

Depends on the vintage crash box you have.  If it really from a TR3, not a
later A, then it won't have room for your later starter drive.  It is also
shorter, you'll probably want to modify your rear motor mount bracket to
avoid straining the rubber mounts.

Randall