TR4 starter breaks, and TR3 tranny in TR4

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 starter breaks, and TR3 tranny in TR4
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:24:37 -0700
This morning my 1 1/2 year old rebuilt starter stopped.  The car (TR4
CT5018LO) started, I pulled into the garage and turned it off to
doublecheck the oil since I'd driven a couple hundred miles for work in
the last couple days.  When I went to restart it went rurr-ding-nothing.
 Another turn of the key and a solenoid click.  When I pulled the
starter this evening I found the spring and nut were not on the starter
-- they'd come off and were still in there.  I'm guessing one of them is
jammed in the flywheel since the engine won't turn by hand.  Any
creative ideas for fishing out starter parts without pulling the
transmission? Giant shop vac?  Government surplus space/time-warping
magnetron?  Pull the tranny?

On the bright side, if I have to pull the tranny I can put in the
rebuilt TR3 tranny I got recently -- and then rebuild the original
overdrive that hasn't worked since I bought the car.  I vaguely remember
there's a difference in the mounting bracket?  Any tips for this?  I
know it doesn't have synchro on first, anything else to be aware of?
 Thanks..

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO