Re: grease ports? and lubrication for D-type OD?

To: mountainunicycle@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: grease ports? and lubrication for D-type OD?
From: Dave Fain <kc3565l@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:25:21 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Steve:
I think one of those big plugs on the bottom is a drain plug but you
do not want to remove the wrong one because springs and ball bearings
will fall out and they are a b***h to put back in.  I found this out the hard
way.  I don't have my shop manual handy, but you should be able to tell
which one is which by looking at the exploded drawing.  You are correct
in thinking that you refill the overdrive through the filler on the right side
of the gearbox.  You can drain most of the lube by draining the gearbox
but there will be a little left in the sump of the OD.
Dave

I have a D-type OD in a 72 GT6. Anyone know if those little
grease-port-looking things are grease ports on a D-type OD? (you can
see the top of a little ball through a hole, like a grease port)

Also, is there a separate plug to drain the OD portion of the tranny,
or is draining the main transmission sufficient? When refilling, I
think I just refill through the transmission fill hole?

I couldn't find anything definitive on these in my workshop manual.

Thanks!
Steve
71TR6
72 GT6