Re: 72 TR6: Some Dangerous Thinking

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 72 TR6: Some Dangerous Thinking
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:36:23 -0500
I have no right to answer this query because I have no experience
with such a decision.  However it seems like such an obvious
philosophical question, so what the hey, I'll jump in anyway.

On 3 Nov 2003 at 18:03, M. Secrest wrote:
> This is a pristine, show quality '72,...
> What I want is to substantially warm up the motor...Lowered front
> end.

Martin, I can't tell if you already have the lowered front end and
other stuff, or if the only "improvements" currently on the car are
the Monzas.  (You have *two* Monza exhaust systems, is that what
you're saying? :-)  For that matter, I'm not sure what "show quality"
means, since I've seen some really neat cars at shows that had some
impressive but decidedly non-original mechanical improvements.

The only reason I'm being presumptious enough to reply is that I have
two reactions based on the assumption that you want to tweak the
suspension and engine away from their original forms.  I certainly
*don't* mean to re-start any original vs. modified argument.

1. Not many people have the opportunity to own or drive regularly a
"show quality" car.  My GT6 is close if you look at it from far
enough away, but I'd sure think twice about making any significant
changes until and unless necessary.

2. If you tweak the car too much, you may find it less fun than it
used to be.  Or to put it another way, if you don't need Alfin brake
drums and if they have any down-side, why bother?  Re-build the
engine if you think it needs it, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

On the other hand, maybe you're just asking if you should attempt the
engine re-build yourself, given your lack of time and such.  Only you
know how busy you really are, or how big your garage is, or you
budget.  If you have the budget and want the car back in a reasonable
amount of time, pay someone.  But like I said, I dunno nuthin'.

Just my $.007.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com