72 TR6: Some Dangerous Thinking from [141.156.43.75] at Mon, 3 Nov 2003

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 72 TR6: Some Dangerous Thinking from [141.156.43.75] at Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:07:24 -0600
From: "M. Secrest" <vze34wdb@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:03:25 -0500
Listers:

As the winter approaches, and with due reverence for the God of This
Life is Short, I'm thinking about rebuilding my TR6 engine and O/D
gearboxes.   This is a pristine, show quality '72, but it has never had
its major components (other than the diff) rebuilt.  There is 75k on the
odometer, which I presume to be accurate.   I had it out this weekend,
first time in a while, and I was reminded how much I really enjoy
driving this car.

Caveat:  I have two small children and zero time to do the work myself.
Well, nearly zero.  I can do finish work, but not much else.

What I want is to substantially warm up the motor -- mild to hot cam,
increased compression, ported, probably a header and somewhat lightened
flywheel, in addition to the complete and fresh set of HS6's sitting on
my shelf.  Monzas are already on the car.  Lowered front end.
Suspension, brakes, driveshafts, bearings all are new and tight.  For
the gearboxes, I want regular rebuilds, and am leaning toward using TRF,
though I am not set on any one shop for any of the work yet.  I'm
interested in adding about 20 horsepower to the car, possibly more, but
I still want a streetable vehicle.

Question is, for those of you who have traveled a similar road, I'd like
to know what you did, and how you might do it differently given the
chance.

--
Martin Secrest.
72 TR6