RE: Toyota caliper upgrade

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: RE: Toyota caliper upgrade
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:50:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>  ... and if one of those flares fails, you'll be relying
> on the emergency brake to stop. And they don't stop so good!
> (Try a panic stop with the e-brake sometime when there are
> no other cars around. I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised.)

The problem is not so much the breaking power (it is excellent
compared to a 1967 Volvo 144) but the fact that the handle is on the
wrong side of the tranny cover, so by the time you get to it, lots of
things will have happened... Ask me how I know. A while back, my
neighbour's truck hitch did the last bit of breaking in my Healey's
fender, after it took me an extra second to look down and grab the
handle.
That said, the breaking power of the e-break is totally unsufficient
for actually breaking the car at speed. In French we do not even call
that thing a emergency break but a parking break (for all cars).

Now I do have one of the minority TR3's with the handle on the right
side. It's a Rhd ;-)

Francois