RE: Coker Classic Red Lines vs Michelin X Red Line (Coker)

To: <genehart@att.net>, "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "'6-Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coker Classic Red Lines vs Michelin X Red Line (Coker)
From: "Gene Hart" <genehart@att.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:08:44 -0400
Don,

I just removed my 5 mich x's, one was no inner tube model, that was a
surprise, to restore the steel rims. But I also noticed the cracking on
the inside of the tires as I removed them.

I just watched a segment on ABC news about old tires, and a guy in a
classic LBC had a blowout and nearly killed his wife with the car
flipping over. He said he babied these tires with no dry rot, but they
still exploded. The big reason for this is age, the tires will break
down no matter what, so shelf life should be no more than 6 yrs, and
because the tire manufactures are so powerful, Congress can not pass an
expiration date bill for tires.

In other words, don't trust the old ones, and if you're doing a frame
off, do the tires as well. Besides, the car will look like new with new
rubber, just make sure the manufacture date is stated when you buy them.
That's what I decided, and since I'm into my 6 for 10K now, whats
another 600 bucks for safety.

Gene Hart
1973 Triumph TR6 CF10918U and soon to be O, thanks J. Esposito