Coker Classic Red Lines vs Michelin X Red Line (Coker)

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Coker Classic Red Lines vs Michelin X Red Line (Coker)
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:10:22 -0400
Seems I read on the list that Coker manufactures the Michelin X Red Line
that they sell? Is that true, or are they really manufactured by Michelin?

I assume the Coker Classic Red lines are manufactured by Coker, but if
the Michelin X Red Lines are also manufactured by Coker, is there a
quality difference between the two? There is a price difference although
not a great one if you buy five. For the Michelins you get 5 for the
price of 4... $170 each ($680.00) vs $112 each for the Coker Classic Red
Lines $560 for 5.

I suppose I will call Coker Monday, but they are closed now.

Is there any other source for Michelin X Red Lines? My Body shop is into
Street Rods and 50's cars and he says Coker is getting a bad reputation
for having quality problems. He has some Coker 50's white walls that are
cracking.

I bought a set of 4 Michelin X Red Lines in the early 80's. I doubt they
have 1000 miles on them. They have seen almost no UV, and looked
perfect, but now that they are off the car, I noticed some fine cracking
near the bead on the INSIDE of the tires, and then some larger cracks in
the bottom of the treads -- on both outside rows. Not sure what to
think. I had thought that the UV exposure was the problem, but there was
no UV exposure where these are cracked.

Don Malling