Re: Coker Classic Red Lines vs Michelin X Red Line (Coker)

To: "Gary R." <gary@tpartners.net>, "'Don Malling'" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "'Jim Davis'" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Coker Classic Red Lines vs Michelin X Red Line (Coker)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:44:56 -0400
Cc: <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Just an FYI Don, I just (today) had a new set of Bridgestone Potenza
> RE950's put on all 5 of my (OEM Steel) wheels. At 205/65/15 they
> really look mean..
>
> Gary Radocchio

The "tire thread" came up on the MG list a few weeks ago as well, and I will
make the same recommendation to them that I will make here.  The Potenza
RE950s are the one of the best all-season performance tires I have ever
used.  The price is excellent as well.

I ran 205/60R15s on my last TR6 and the ride was a bit on the harsh side as
the profile of the tires was relatively low.  My current TR6 has 205/65R15s
and are just right in terms of looks and ride quality, although the speedo
is probably a little off.  I've driven a just restored TR6 with 205/70R15
Dunlops and it felt a little driftier than either of the two TR6s I have
owned.

Here is the message I wrote a few weeks ago on the MG list:

I have used the RE950s on two vehicles, and was very happy with the decision
to use them.  I put the Potenza RE950s on my old '97 VW Jetta, in almost the
same size (195/60R14), and they transformed the car from the previous set of
tires (Continental Touring tires or something).  I also replaced the OEM
Michelins that came on my 2002 Jetta because I experienced one sidewall
failure (@ 5000 miles) with the Michelins and extreme tread wear (under
15000 miles) on another of the tires.  At $155 a tire, the Michelins were
not worth sticking with.  I switched to the Potenza RE950s on that car,
although that Jetta had 15" wheels.  Both cars benefited from improved
response and feedback, the road noise was actually improved, and cornering
ability was greatly improved.  I was very happy with the wet weather
capability of the RE950s as well.

After a series of non-tire related bad luck incidents, I traded the '02
Jetta for a new '03 one... and went with the sport suspension and 17"
wheels.  I only have 8500 miles on the '03, and so far the Goodyear rubber
is holding up well, so I have not made the switch to Potenzas.

I talked my VW salesman into putting Potenza RE950s on his 1998 Jetta, also
in the 195/60R14 size.  He was delighted with the recommendation and
decision.

When my current set of tires wears out on my TR6 it will be Kuhmos or
Potenzas going on, depending on my preference at the time and if I go with
Panasports.  And yes, like Gary said, the Potenza RE950s have a very
imposing and stiff appearing sidewall and tread pattern... it gives the cars
a very aggressive and purposeful appearance.

Kai