RE: Ramps vs Stands

Subject: RE: Ramps vs Stands
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 09:44:42 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> A few offcuts of old carpet are useful with ramps. Cut sections
> narrow enough to go between the slats on each ramp. Thread them
> through the ramps so they double back on themselves. As you
> approach the ramps the weight of the car on the carpet will stop
> the ramps sliding out. If you're concerned about the ramps
> slipping when the front wheels are entirely off the ground then
> wrap the carpet around the slat closest to the top of each ramp.

Bill, I must be missing something.  If the wheels are still entirely on the
ramps, how does the carpet lock the ramps to the floor ?

BTW, I have had ramps slip while the wheels were entirely on the slope of
the ramp.  The tires did not slip on the ramp, rather the wheels turned
backwards as the ramp shot across the floor.  AFAIK those ramps are still
hanging in the rafters in my Dad's garage, once I bought a decent set of
jackstands I never wanted to use the ramps again.

Speaking of decent jackstands, IMO the ones with the pressed sheet metal
tops are Not Acceptable.   The ones with the cast jaws are much better.
Sure, they cost a few bucks more, how much is your skull worth ?

Randall