Ramps vs Stands

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ramps vs Stands
From: Scott Tilton <stilton@protoprod.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:18:18 -0400
I use ramps whenever I can.
Getting these cars high enough in the air to work on can be a real
challenge.
I end up with a whole array of devices to make it work well.

I will say that the Sears ramps I bought I like very much.
They are pretty tall and have a detachable ramp which makes it easier to get
under the car when it is up in the air.   They have a big stop welded on
them to keep you from driving off of then end of them.
Not that something like that ever happens .. but it makes me feel better.

The detachable ramp also allows me to put an extra boar or something under
the one end to drive up on to first . .allowing better clearance to keep the
body from hitting the ramp before the tire does.

The Sears ramps also have nice little rubber feet on them.
These do help to keep it from sliding away from the car when you drive the
front wheels up on them.
It only helps though.

Among my auxiliary bits for this job are some really stout pieces of packing
foam that I came across.
I cut them into pieces that are about the size and shape of two bricks laid
end to end.

Even the weight of a car will still only compress them down to about an
inch.

I use these foam bricks as a transition between the floor and up on to the
ramp (which is often on a board as I mentioned)

Not only does it cushion and gradually lift the car, but it sorta helps to
anchor the ramp .. or rather push it downwards enough to get good friction
between the ramp and the floor.  Helps keep the ramp from sliding forward.

Okay .. I've typed enough.

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6 everyday  (day three)
Leesburg, VA