RE: removal of radiator -- TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: removal of radiator -- TR3
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:54:25 -0700
> Hi folks,  Time to go to the well again...I need to get my radiator
> re-cored.  I assume there is no way to do this without taking off
> the front apron.

I've heard a rumor that the radiator can be removed by taking the head and
water pump housing off of the engine ... but I think pulling the apron is
better.

>  Any tips, tricks or gotcha's in this undertaking?

If you don't have a 7/16" GearWrench, get one !  I liked my first set so
much that I eventually bought 3 more (stubby, offset and metric).

>  Is  there a way to
> do it so as to just tilt it up so as there is enough clearance to
> get it out
> without disconnecting the wires for the lights? (My Lucus phobia)

I don't think it would be practical.  It has to be completely loose, since
you start by pulling the bottom edge forward and then lifting the whole
thing straight up to clear the various tabs at the top.  The odds of
straining the wires at that point seems high to me, plus I'm pretty sure
mine aren't long enough to reach, once the apron is moved far enough forward
to clear the radiator.

Go down to Staples or Office Max, get a box of mailing labels.  Use two of
them for every connection, one on each wire, with some kind of matching
mark.  Doesn't have to be anything intelligent, just 1,2,3 will do ...

> I also
> noted that the fan is wobbling a little, the bolts are tight, and need to
> replace the rubber bushings and sleeves.   What else should I do while the
> radiator and fan is out?

The steering box comes out a lot easier with the apron off.  On the later
split column models (like yours), it can be removed with the apron in place,
but it's a PITA.

Good Luck
Randall