RE: TR3 Ring Gap

Subject: RE: TR3 Ring Gap
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:09:05 -0700
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> At rest, yes, everything maintains the same dimensions. Under
> load, however,
> the forces go up and parts stretch and compress according to the
> amount of
> load. Those acceleration and deceleration loads are determined by
> the square
> of the rpm. Faster it goes, more load, more stretch.

I don't have the reference handy, but Kas Kastner once wrote that he
measured 5/8" of runout at the edge of a TR6 flywheel, apparently due to the
crank bending at high rpm.  Don't recall the rpm at the moment, but ISTR it
wasn't a great deal over factory redline.

Ken Gillanders also once wrote of filming stock 5/16" TR3 pushrods with a
stop-motion camera, he said they "looked like dancing spaghetti".

Randall