RE: Old car question, no LBC

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Old car question, no LBC
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:26:32 -0700
> Since you guys (collectively) seem to know everything, I'll ask.
> A friend's
> son has a 1951 Plymouth that was given to him. The car hasn't run in a
> while and the battery is missing. He bought a battery; I knew it was
> 6-volt. The question is, is the car positive or negative ground?
> I have the
> feeling it's negative, but I'm not sure. How can one tell for sure? We're
> going to take a whack at starting it tonight.

A little quick Googling turns up lots of confirmations for what I vaguely
remember : all 6 volt Plymouths were positive ground.  One random example :
http://www.antiquedodgeparts.com/electrical.htm

Also check the markings on the ignition coil, and whether the ammeter reads
the right way around.  Like our LBCs, I'm pretty sure that hooking the
battery up backwards won't hurt anything anyway.  Some things may not work
right, but it won't harm them.

Randall