Re: Classic Motorsports rematch

To: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <4sharps@lvcm.com>, "triumphs list server" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Classic Motorsports rematch
From: "Rich Scotti" <Rich@Scotti.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:18:43 -0400
> The TR4 was a daily driver in fairly decent shape but several of the
others
> were near 100pt restorations.  Brand-new always runs better than
broken-in.

The reality of the article and the comparison....
We spent a full day and a few hundred miles driving each others cars around.
We completed a one page questionnaire between driver swaps. When Editor Gary
Anderson wrote the article he had to make some sense of the results. He
indicated that the TR4A must have scored so low because it had not been
restored.

While its true that the car is driven regularly, the condition of the car
was not the question. It  has just been back on the road after a body off
re-work. Here's the kicker. The car got all sorts of performance goodies
that makes it better for me but likely hurt in the evaluations. More power
(Headers, Cam, Pertronics) makes the idle a little rough. Better handling
(HD springs, Koni's, Poly bushings, TR6 Sway bar) makes that car rough
riding. It would have dusted all of the other cars in any race. It does
shake your tonsils out, however.

The Datsun was completely original and it likely suffered as a result. The
trans would grind into 2nd and the brakes were non-existent. It lacked power
and drifted all over the road.

LBC's are not fairly ranked using a new car scorecard.