TR3/4 Distributor Caps

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3/4 Distributor Caps
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:31:27 -0700 (PDT)
In my attempt to dry things off on the TR4, I decided to just go ahead and swap
out the entire distributor cap, wires and plugs.  I've gout about 4 of those
original type distributor caps that have the wires screwed into them.
Some have some pretty plain looking wires, one has bumblebee wire on it, and
another has some GEETS wires on them .. blue with very nice ends.

They are all old as dirt though.

While I like how neat they are. . on a daily driver I'd just assume have a
conventional cap and wires that have nice boots to go over the plug ends and
insert into the cap like more modern cars.

Didn't someone say that and MGB cap will fit a TR3/4?
If I remember right, my brother's late model MGB has a more conventional
looking distributor cap.  Can I switch?

Secondly ... I be curious to hear if any one has opionions on what sort of
wires to use with the old style caps and any precautions about how to assemble
them correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Tilton
One Triumph or another everyday.