Piston/Liner Brand Recommendation

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Piston/Liner Brand Recommendation
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:43:35 -0600
Mahle are an OEM piston supplier to Porsche and VW.  I've used a set of
Mahle Porsche 914 pistons(9.0:1 instead of 8.0:1) in a VW Westphalia I
used to own I put 50k on the rebuild and I still see the next owner
driving it 6 years later with out having to do another rebuild. When I
assembled the VW engine I checked all the clearances of the Mahle parts
as delivered and didn't even need to adjust the ring gags everything was
exactly to factory spec and identical from one piston and liner to the
next. Are the Triumph piston and liners as good as the Porsche and VW
ones some one else will have to say as my TR3 came with an freshly
installed( 14 years earlier and never started up) set of 0.030" over
size 83mm pistons when I bought it.
As far as the bearings go aren't all 3 companies one and the same now?

Doug Hamilton
1960 Triumph TR3
1963 Fiat Cabriolet
1967 Chev C10