RE; TR3 wheel vibration

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE; TR3 wheel vibration
From: "Alex Redding" <aredding@mail.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:52:17 -0500
 Boy, have you got a can of worms opened up here. First, if you have a wheel
that is not hub centric then it needs to be lugcentric. There are two normal
ways to center a wheel on the hub. If a wheel is hubcentric that means that it
is centered by the bore of the wheel being a snug fit around the protrusion of
the hub. This kind of wheel is balanced with a cone. These are the most common
types of wheels, however, some wheels are centered by the lugnuts- some VWs,
Jags, BMWs, Toyota trucks etc.
  To balance a lugcentric wheel you need a flange adaptor to hold the wheels in
the proper position on the balanced to match its position on the hub.
  The wheels you're describing, that are not snug on the hub & are held in
place by flat nuts with washers are IMHO bullshit but there are two possible
cures. The easiest one is to measure your hub diameter, not the whole hub but
the protrusion that the wheel sits on & take that knowledge & a wheel to the
local tuner shop where the riceboys buy their parts. They should have or be
able to order hub spacers to fit between the hub & the wheel & center it. If
you're handy & have a lathe available, you could turn them yourself out of
aluminum. Myself I would call my wheel supplier & ask "Where are my hub
centering tools?"
  Another problem & possibility is that your tires are not round, but
straighten out your wheel to car mounting issues before we go into that.
                                                    Cheers. Alex (Yes, I sell
High tech wheel & tire equipment for my daily bread)