Re: Forward: Triumph question on the Mac Vs PC list...

To: lists@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Forward: Triumph question on the Mac Vs PC list...
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:38:19 +0000 FILETIME=[EFAA9AF0:01C36717]
>I'm in the process of changing out the wheel bearings on my '64 TR4
>(no, it's not an A) and was told by a club member that it would be a
>difficult job to remove and install the bearings.  Granted, the
>manual shows a special tool to do the job but I have a 6 ton press
>and have done a bunch of American cars and Japanese motorcycles.  Is
>there anything special to watch for or to do to prevent excessive
>cursing and wailing (some is expected I imagine?)
>
>Russ in San Antonio
>'64 TR4

   I'm presuming that you're referring to the rear wheel bearings on your
`4. There is a special tool to
   do the job (ain't there always) some clubs hve made group purchases for
this. When I redid mine back
   in '86 I took the hubs to my neighbor who built custom ag equipment. It
took his 25 ton press,
   penetrating oil and the judicious application of heat to get the one side
separated. The other just
   came apart with a little pressure.

   YMMV

   The smart thing to do is once you put them back together put a little
anti-seize on the axle shaft so
   the next time you do the job you won't have to work so hard.

   OBTW, My vintage Triumph racing pals, who are known to break axles from
time to time have a
   company which prepares floating axle hubs their race cars. Granted you
won't be putting as much
   stress on your `4 as they do on tier cars. It's just something to think
about.

  Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)