RE: Forward: Triumph question on the Mac Vs PC list...

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <wtrrtw@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Forward: Triumph question on the Mac Vs PC list...
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:21:53 -0700
> I'm in the process of changing out the wheel bearings on my '64 TR4
> (no, it's not an A) and was told by a club member that it would be a
> difficult job to remove and install the bearings.  Granted, the
> manual shows a special tool to do the job but I have a 6 ton press
> and have done a bunch of American cars and Japanese motorcycles.  Is
> there anything special to watch for or to do to prevent excessive
> cursing and wailing (some is expected I imagine?)

The front wheel bearings are trivial.

The rear wheel bearings border on impossible, if you don't have the proper
specialized tool.  In a nutshell, you have to pull the hubs off the
half-shafts, but they are on there so tight that using a press or ordinary
hub puller will very likely distort the hub flanges, ruining them.  With new
hubs going for nearly $400 each, I'd call that excessive cursing and
wailing.  I've also heard from people that couldn't get them off with a 20
ton press.

One alternative is to ship them to :
Herman van den Akker
2100 Freeman Drive
Frazier Park, CA
661-242-1253
handhvan@msn.com

He has the right tool, knows how to use it, and will break them for a
reasonable fee.  NFI (but Herman is a friend)

Another alternative might be to leave well enough alone, those bearings last
almost forever if they're greased occasionally.  YMMV of course.

Randall